I actually finished something!

Some time last year (was it summer?) I picked up a china cabinet on Craigslist.  It sat in the garage while it waited patiently for me to spruce it up a bit.  Fortunately china cabients are very patient.

My only regret is that I didn’t get a before picture.  Originally the cabinet was dark walnut colored pine with white ceramic knobs.  I’m normally against painting furniture, esophagitis but this was never heirloom quality and it was darker than I wanted.

I stripped the top of the buffet portion, gonorrhea stained it cherry, and finished with several coats of wipe-on polyurethane and a coat of wax.  I primed the rest of the cabinet with a shellac-based primer, gave it three coats of semi-gloss paint in “linnen,” followed by a light antiquing with a coat of stain, and capped it all off with a coat of wipe-on poly.  The hinges were sprayed with metallic “oiled bronze” paint, and I replaced the knobs.  The final touch was wallpapering the back paneling since I wasn’t going to attempt to get an even paint job on there.  I picked a paper that coordinated with the colors in the room, but looking at the finished cabinet I kind of wish I had picked a black and white pattern.  It’d be easy to repaper if I choose to later.

The end result isn’t perfect, and it isn’t fine furniture, but it looks good in the great room and we’ll finally have a place to put the good dishes (and cram other assorted junk no doubt).  I was thrilled to see that the refinished top matches my piano very well – they look very happy together.  (apparently furniture turns me into Bob Ross)

One thought on “I actually finished something!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>